Sunday, June 15, 2008

Rookie (10-41)

The word rookie means different things to different people; to senior officers it most closely means dipshit. I was told by one officer in roll call recently that I was technically not even deserving of the title, Rookie, until I had at least five years on the job. I have noticed that street people LOVE seeing a "rookie" cop. Most often smartasses will say, "You must be a rookie, cause you ain't got know stripes on yo sleeve."

I do no think that being a rookie is a bad thing because it gives me an excuse to ask dumb questions. The senior cops can laugh and say "he is such a sweet kid" and "what can you expect he is just a rookie."

I realize that there is a strong pecking order in law enforcement and I know where I fall in that. I definitely have a great deal of respect for the old-timers because experience means a whole lot in this career.

One day, I will have stripes on my sleeves and will be able to laugh myself at the new guys. But I am in no hurry because I know there is a lot to learn.

No comments: